I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Monday 6 April 2020

Trip to the trig


My target in climbing up onto Baildon Moor was the trig point. I think other countries have similar things. They are triangulation stations, a tool for surveying in the days before aerial photography and electronic positioning aids (GPS) were available. There are over 5000 of them across Britain. A trig point is usually a concrete post with a metal disc in the top into which you can slot a theodolite. The trig point is at an accurately surveyed and documented position and (on a clear day and in theory at least) has at least two other trig points in view, so the whole country is divided into triangles. They are not all on hills of course. One in low-lying Cambridgeshire sits below sea level. They are mostly redundant now, except as a goal for walkers and off road cyclists to aim for. Whilst I was up there, several cyclists passed by and a few dog walkers too, everyone keeping a safe distance from each other, though the wind was enough to blow any germs away! 

The trig point, for me, was simply a little challenge to myself to find the motivation I needed for a good, bracing walk. There are of course, those who take trig-bagging more seriously. There are, apparently, 454 trig pillars in Yorkshire alone, so there are plenty to aim for. 


This point is only 282m above sea level but it still felt a long climb from the bottom of the valley in Saltaire. Exhilarating though, and the views from the smooth plateau up there are quite good. The photo above is looking back the way I came; the one below shows part of the village of Baildon on the other side of the moor.


8 comments:

  1. Wonderful views, though I don't think I'll be riding my bike up there to enjoy them! I know where that low trig point in the Fens is and I've often thought about paying it a visit though it's really "on the road to nowhere".

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my adventurous life as a young man I helped build the M1 motorway. I watched fascinated whilst the civil engineers set up their theodolites to check the gradients. Within one week the huge yellow Wimpey Terex machines had moved a hill like this one into a valley north of Leicester. I learned what the name Wimpey stands for: "We Import More Paddys Every Year!" They worked hard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! that was a good hike up there. The views look beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great views! And thanks for doing the exercise to get these pics!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful view. The landscapes look free and fresh air wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always wonder about the minds that first thought up these types of things. Great views from up there, Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like the views from the top were well worth the uphill walks, but not sure I could manage that. Level walks are what I handle best.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely wide views from up there, you're lucky being able to get out, people have been told to stay local here.

    ReplyDelete